01 July 2010

1 Nephi 6: It mattereth not to me that I am particular

In the last chapter, Lehi's family spoke in a certain manner of language. In this chapter, Nephi says nothing at all.

He's not going to say anything about Lehi's genealogy.

And now I, Nephi, do not give the genealogy of my fathers in this part of my record; neither at any time shall I give it after upon these plates which I am writing; for it is given in the record which has been kept by my father; wherefore, I do not write it in this work. 1 Nephi 6:1

"It sufficeth" for him to say that he and his family are descendants of Joseph. (But you already knew that from the last chapter.)

For it sufficeth me to say that we are descendants of Joseph. 1 Nephi 6:2

The reason Nephi is going on and on about nothing at all is that he doesn't have room to say anything. After all, he's writing all this down on metal plates. You wouldn't waste words if you were doing that, would you?

That's why it mattereth not to him that he is particular to give a full account of all the things, etc., etc.

And it mattereth not to me that I am particular to give a full account of all the things of my father, for they cannot be written upon these plates, for I desire the room that I may write of the things of God. 1 Nephi 6:3

So he's not going to write pleasing things; he's going to give commandment unto his seed.

Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world. ... Wherefore, I shall give commandment unto my seed. 1 Nephi 6:5-6

And that's all Nephi has to say about that.


Blogging the Book of Mormon
Next episode -- 1 Nephi 7: Oh Fetch! We forgot the fricken women!

5 comments:

Brian said...

Love the blog, its like an atheist daily devotional! Glad to see you are going over the BoM now. Keep up the good fight.

Matthew Blanchette said...

It seems almost like Joseph Smith either couldn't come up with a convincing enough genealogy for Nephi and company, or just thought he had learned the lesson of too many "this fellow begat that fellow"s from the Bible... which is strange, then, considering all the infamous "came to pass"es he subsequently used. :-D

busterggi said...

I wanna see Nephi's birth certificate.

The original, not some 19th century copy.

Anonymous said...

not gonna lie. i love this blog. :D

skanksta said...

brilliant as usual Steve, but you need some Mormon believers.

I've never ever met one, or even heard of one, but sure would like to...